|By PowerBuilder News Desk||
|January 30, 2009 01:15 PM EST||
Sybase’s Q4 2008 earnings results, just announced, showed a revenue increase of 3% to $305.1 million from $295.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2007 and a total revenue for 2008 increase of 10% year over year to $1.13 billion. This makes it its best quarter and year in company history.
Chairman, CEO, and President of Sybase John Chen stated, “We are extremely proud to deliver our first-ever quarter exceeding $300 million in revenue, as well as record results for our fifth consecutive quarter and second consecutive year.
“The market is responding well to our market-leading mobility and analytics technologies, which has enabled us to gain market share. Sybase's success is driven by our consistently strong execution, compelling product portfolio, and long-standing fiscal conservatism,” Chen added.
“Entering 2009, our competitive position and financial foundation are as strong as they have ever been. This is the result of judiciously investing in our Unwired Enterprise strategy, together with our ongoing efforts to streamline operations and prudently manage company assets. Even as the macro environment holds uncertainty, I am optimistic in our continued ability to execute well,” concluded Chen.
Enjoy SYS-CON's very popular interview with Sybase Chairman, CEO and President, John S. Chen.
(The full Chen interview can also be viewed here on SYS-CON.TV.)
Here are the company's financial results for the fourth quarter and full year ended December 31, 2008, as stated today:
- Total revenue of $305.1 million for Q408 and $1.13 billion for full year
- GAAP operating margin of 23% for Q408 and 19% for full year
- GAAP operating income of $69.8 million for Q408, $210.1 million for full year
- Non-GAAP operating margin of 28% for Q408 and 24% for full year
- Non-GAAP operating income of $85.8 million for Q408, $266.1 million for full year
- GAAP EPS of $1.64 for full year
- Non-GAAP EPS of $0.78 for Q408 and $2.24 for full year
- Cash flow from operations of $84.5 million for Q408 and $295.5 million for full year
- Q408 license revenue up 8% year over year and 13% in constant currency
- 2008 full-year license revenue up 11%, total revenue up 10%
- Database license revenues increased 38% year over year in Q408 and 28% for full year
- GAAP operating income up 4% year over year in Q408 and 25% for full year
- Non-GAAP operating income up 5% year over year in Q408 and 21% for full year
- Full-year cash flow from operations increased 16% year over year
2008 Fourth Quarter Results
Total revenue for the fourth quarter of 2008 increased 3% to $305.1 million from $295.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2007. License revenue grew 8% to $122.1 million from $112.9 million in the fourth quarter of 2007. Services revenue were $139.8 million in the 2008 fourth quarter. Messaging revenues were $43.2 million.
Non-GAAP operating income for the 2008 fourth quarter increased 5% year over year to $85.8 million, representing a 28% operating margin.
Non-GAAP net income for the 2008 fourth quarter was $63.4 million, or earnings per diluted share (EPS) of $0.78, compared with non-GAAP net income of $55.4 million and EPS of $0.61 in the 2007 fourth quarter.
Operating income calculated in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) for the 2008 fourth quarter increased 4% year over year to $69.8 million, representing an operating margin of 23%.
The company reported GAAP net income of $47.3 million, or GAAP EPS of $0.58, for the fourth quarter. This compares with GAAP net income of $73.5 million, or GAAP EPS of $0.81, for the fourth quarter of 2007. Compared to the current quarter, net income for the 2007 fourth quarter reflected a $20.3 million credit to tax expense, which translated into a net $0.22 EPS benefit. This credit was associated with the reversal of valuation allowances on certain U.S. tax assets attributable to the company’s strong U.S. profits. In addition, GAAP net income for 2008 reflects the downward revaluation of auction rate securities.
Non-GAAP amounts exclude the amortization of certain purchased intangibles, stock-based compensation, restructuring costs, charges related to the impairment of auction rate securities, and the tax effect of these and related items. Accompanying this release is a reconciliation from GAAP to non-GAAP amounts for the fourth quarter of 2008 and 12-month period ended December 31, 2008.
The company generated cash flow from operations of $84.5 million for the 2008 fourth quarter.
2008 Full-Year Results
Total revenue for 2008 increased 10% year over year to $1.13 billion, and license revenue for the year increased 11% year over year to $383.7 million. Services revenue increased 5% to $572.1 million, and messaging revenues increased 29% to $176.2 million.
Non-GAAP operating income increased 21% year over year to $266.1 million, representing a non-GAAP operating margin of 24%. Non-GAAP net income grew 20% year over year, reaching $189.0 million, or $2.24 per diluted share.
Full-year GAAP operating income increased 25% year over year to $210.1 million, representing an operating margin of 19%. The company reported GAAP net income of $138.6 million, or GAAP EPS of $1.64.
Cash flow from operations increased 16% year over year to $295.5 million.
Balance Sheet and Other Data
At December 31, 2008, Sybase reported $638.4 million in cash and cash investments, including restricted cash of $2.8 million.
Sybase repurchased $5.4 million of its outstanding common stock during the fourth quarter and a total of $306.1 million for the year. As of December 31, 2008, $77.5 million remained authorized under the company’s current share repurchase program.
Days sales outstanding (DSO) for the fourth quarter was 80.
For the first quarter ending March 31, 2009, management anticipates total revenue in the range of $260 million to $270 million. Management anticipates non-GAAP fully diluted EPS in the range of $0.40 to $0.42 and GAAP EPS in the range of $0.27 to $0.29.
For full-year 2009, management anticipates total revenue of approximately $1.14 billion. Management anticipates non-GAAP EPS in the range of $2.16 to $2.21 and GAAP EPS in the range of $1.62 to $1.67. Management anticipates full-year 2009 cash flow from operations of approximately $250 million.
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- PowerBuilder History - How Did It Evolve?
- Creation and Consumption of Web Services with PowerBuilder
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- DDDW Tips and Tricks
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Working with SOA & Web Services in PowerBuilder
- Dynamically Creating DataWindow Objects
- OLE - Extending the Capabilities of PowerBuilder
- DataWindow.NET How To: Data Entry Form