|By Salvatore Genovese||
|November 17, 2010 02:36 PM EST||
New momentum can be seen in the latest usage trends highlighted by the survey, according to Beard. According to the survey, 22% of respondents are already using their mobile devices to conduct research or compare prices when shopping. Seventeen percent of respondents have used their mobile devices for banking-related purposes, while 14% have accepted coupons or alerts on deals.
Conditions are ripe for the mobile economy to play a bigger role than ever this holiday season, according to a national survey conducted by Sybase 365, a subsidiary of Sybase, Inc., the global leader in mobile messaging and mobile commerce services.
The survey of 1,000 consumers found that one out of three respondents who are willing and able to do so with their current devices would purchase goods or services this holiday season using their device if they were presented with mobile-based incentives.
"These responses are compelling and underscore how far we've come on the road to widespread adoption of mobile commerce," said Marty Beard, President of Sybase 365. "The latest data clearly suggests that we're transitioning from awareness building to the next phase - enabling customer transactions."
When asked whether mobile-based incentives (coupons or discount offers, text or email alerts, gift cards) would entice them to make a purchase on their mobile device, 32% of respondents said these incentives would. The remaining 68% of respondents to the question either stated they would not make a mobile purchase or that they can't do so on their current devices.
Asked to choose their preferred means of making a purchase on their mobile device during this coming holiday season, more than a third of consumers (34%) said they would prefer to use a secure web page on their phones. Slightly fewer (31%) said they would use a recognized payment provider, such as PayPal.
Another important contributor to mobile commerce adoption could be SMS, based on the survey. "Some 70% of mobile users in the survey have used their mobile device for text messaging, which is a natural channel for delivering marketing and advertising vehicles," Beard added. "It's clear that consumers are using their mobile devices at various points of the purchase cycle. Channels such as SMS are providing the vehicle for building loyalty which can only hasten the adoption of true mCommerce services," says Beard. "The training wheels are ready to be removed."
One illustration of how retailers are putting solutions to work today to engage, build loyalty and strengthen customer relationships, according to Beard, is a recent implementation involving SMS text alerts for Rite Aid, one of the United States' leading drugstore chains.
The new service, available on an "opt-in" basis to all Rite Aid patients and customers nationwide regardless of their mobile network, provides SMS notifications when their prescriptions are ready to be collected, as well as refill and will-call reminders and other status changes. Patients now have the option to receive such messages by text, as well as email or automated phone call - whether they ordered their prescriptions in one of Rite Aid's more than 4,700 stores or online at www.MyRiteAid.com.
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- PowerBuilder History - How Did It Evolve?
- Creation and Consumption of Web Services with PowerBuilder
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- DDDW Tips and Tricks
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Working with SOA & Web Services in PowerBuilder
- Dynamically Creating DataWindow Objects
- Cloud Expo, Inc. Announces Cloud Expo 2011 New York Venue
- OLE - Extending the Capabilities of PowerBuilder